On the approach to Christmas, thieves know that your homes are filled with expensive gifts, increasing your risk of being burgled.
Whilst most of us will be preparing for the big day and trying to decide on all the festive arrangements, criminals also prepare but in a somewhat different way and certainly not in the spirit of Christmas goodwill.
A professionally installed CCTV system from Advanced Overwatch reduces the risk of being a victim during the festive season and throughout the rest of the entire year. With our fixed price CCTV packages, you can secure your home from just £499 including installation and remote viewing on your phone with alerts so you know what is going on when your not at home. We also offer smart alarm systems and a combination of smart home solutions.
Don’t forget to follow the crime prevention advice below!
Preventing Home Burglary This Christmas
- As we approach Christmas, please remember – don’t leave your beautifully wrapped Christmas presents under the tree in the full view of windows where opportunist burglars can see.
- Also, remember to dispose of any packaging carefully in the New Year – don’t let the burglar know what delightful presents are inside your house by displaying empty cardboard boxes outside awaiting collection with the refuse.
- Now that the clocks have gone back an hour, please remember to leave a light on in your property so that your home is not in darkness when you return from work; use dusk to dawn light bulbs or timer switches to illuminate your home.
- Don’t keep large amounts of cash for shopping at home.
- Always lock your shed and garage and secure ladders and garden tools inside so that thieves cannot use them to gain access to your home.
- If you are away over Christmas, remember to inform trusted neighbours and ask them to keep an eye on your home. Remember to cancel any deliveries of papers or milk and ask a neighbour to collect any post on a regular basis. Use timer switches for lights, television and radio to make it look as if you are home.
- Don’t ‘check in’ to locations if your Social Media profiles are set to ‘public’ as this will let others know that you are not at home, making yourself an easier target.
- If there is an unexpected stranger at your door, keep your door shut and look through a spy-hole or window to check who is outside. If they won’t go away telephone the Police on 101.
When Out Shopping
- Make sure your purse, wallet or handbag is closed and secure – never leave it unattended.
- Always keep your pin number confidential.
- When typing in your pin number in a hand terminal ensure that it cannot be seen.
- Never keep your cheque book and card together.
- Go to cashpoints with a friend and use the cashpoint inside the bank if possible.
- If you see someone suspicious hanging around, leave and come back later or use another cashpoint.
- Before using the cashpoint machine, check that there is nothing unusual about it.
- Only withdraw as much money as you need and avoid carrying large sums of money.
- Put your money and card away safely before leaving the machine.
In The Car
- Always park in a well lit area or an attended car park.
- Always close windows, engage steering locks and lock doors when leaving the car.
- If you have to keep presents in a car, make sure that they are well hidden in the boot and the car is locked.
- Ensure Satellite Navigation devices are removed from the car and remove the suction mounted fitting from the windscreen (and any tell tale marks) as this gives potential thieves the idea that the car has a Sat Nav device that could be in the car somewhere.
Going Out For The Evening
- Before going out, plan how you will get home.
- If you go out with friends, make sure you come home together – never leave anyone behind.
- Drink responsibly and never accept a drink from a stranger or leave a drink unattended.
- Think! Don’t drink and drive!
- Always check a taxi driver’s identification and never get into an unlicensed taxi.
- Never walk home alone and always choose well lit, busy streets – do not take short cuts down alley ways or large open spaces.
If you want to keep your property or business secure during this holiday season a CCTV surveillance system, alarm or combination of Advanced Overwatch products will help achieve security and peace of mind.
Advanced Overwatch CCTV and Security Solutions are an ISO:9001 and ISO:27001 certified security installer. Contact us today to find out how we can secure your rental property or business with CCTV and security products and solutions.